Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Lint tool

    Lint is an awesome Android tool that is almost never mentioned in Android books. I probably would never had known about it's uses had it not been the need to track down string resources that I needed to remove or translate. The problem began with me doing a beginners mistake, which is hard coding in strings. So I had to track down all of these. As I was doing this I was adding strings to the string.xml resource. In doing this I noticed a lot of strings that might not be needed but I did not want to delete them and perhaps creating a lot of errors. Once again Googling for solutions , I found the answer in the tool Lint. Surprisingly the tool does not run automatically ( there might be a way to set it so it does but I have not found it yet). You have to right click the project, select Android tools and then run Lint. It showed me a list which included  colors and strings not use, strings not translated, missing drawables and conflicting background color ( I was coloring a background that the theme already colored). I have just scratched the surface of what Lint can do. Now I am interested in what other tools are included that might be useful.

10,000 hour to Mastery.
10,000 - 623 = 9377 hours left

Not a lot of hours but I have learned so much.