I've been working on an app that tracks multiple vehicle fuel usage. I had been storing data as a text file because it was easier to implement but I realized that a SQLite database would be a better choice. The problem was I knew nothing about SQLite and only a rudimentary idea of databases in general. So to learn more I made a database test app ( see http://to-learn-android.blogspot.com/2014/02/sqlite-database.html ). At first I thought I would be able to later cut and paste the code in to the original vehicle app thereby replacing the text file storage code. The problem I later realized was the text storage code was so interwoven in to the rest of the code that it would be easier to start fresh. Two main things I learned from this exercise. First is to write code more compartmentalized, in other words make it more object oriented. Storage code should have been a separate class to begin with. Second I learned about SQLite databases, though I am far from an expert I have a better understanding than I began with.
One other thing I need to learn is how to format the data for display so the data aligns with Vehicle Mileage Gallons and Price.